Wednesday 12 June 2013

June 12th 2013

Ow.

Double ow.

For anyone who is unsure and wondering, P90X is brutal. Really brutal.

Last night I took my first foray into high intensity training. I chose workout 11 which is a cross of Yoga, Kembo and cardio.

Firstly, who knew that yoga could be so strenuous? (I appreciate half the world does, but this is my first time doing it). The warm up for this workout is 15 mins of yoga which made me realise exactly how inflexible I am. I did my best to match what they were doing on the screen but a lack of flexibility and poor balance meant I did struggle a bit.

I had better success with the Kembo workout. I had already done similar workouts to this on Your Shape: Fitness Evolved on the Xbox, so I was a bit more comfortable with the moves and combos the video was throwing at me.

Then lastly it was the cardio workout involving a myriad of ways for me to jump around, squat and run on the spot. This actually took less out of me than the rest of the workout, make of that what you will.

I managed the whole 45 minutes in one sitting, however, I did have to modify almost every exercise. Given this is my first ever time doing it, I'm not unduly worried, I'm just impressed that I managed to get through it without dying.

Here's a couple of pictures that Emma (my wife, for those who don't know) took of me while I was doing it and when I finished. They're not for the faint hearted:



Hot and sweaty doesn't come into it. I've woken up today stiff as a board and aching from head to toe. Fortunately, today is a kind of rest day. I'll still be walking but there's no gym and no P90X tonight. I'm back in the gym tomorrow and Friday will be a workout at home.

Hopefully all this effort will translate to more inches lost.

Fingers crossed


2 comments:

  1. well done mate! ive been gymming it and trying a Keto based diet for the past week or so, enjoying it massively apart from carb cravings! Id been tempted to try P90X when i get a bit more settled to a routing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you going strong with your P90X, I will be checking your blog.

    ReplyDelete